Cheap mobile plans with international callings for students in USA
According to Statista, there were 914,095 international students studying in the USA in the academic year of 2020/21. More than 55,000 Indian students and exchange visitors to the USA have been given student visas in the year 2021.
If you are a student studying in the US or plan to go there to study, you must purchase a reliable cell phone plan. The good news is that cell phone plans in the US have become cheaper in the last few years because of increasing competition.
On one hand, it is good news. On the other hand, it becomes a bit tough to choose the right plan. In this article, we will make it easier for you to find the right plan for international calling.
Why is choosing the right telecom provider important?
No plan fits perfectly for every student. It depends on your requirement, location, and usage. As mentioned above, there are so many telecom providers and they have different international calling plans. You must choose the right telecom provider as it helps you save money. There are some expensive plans as well in the market.
If you end up signing for them, you may unnecessarily spend extra on your phone bills. Being a student you cannot afford it, right?
Factors to consider while choosing a telecom provider:
Below are some factors to consider while choosing telecom provider for international calling:
● Type of plan you want: There are two types of plans in the US - a contract plan and a prepaid plan. Depending on your needs, you can choose the plan for yourself. The most common contract plan comes with two years of the contract. The calling rates are low in such plans. However, prepaid plans are more popular among students as buying them does not require a Social Security number or credit card history.
● Internet data: You will have to check how much data is given in the plan.
● Calling minutes: If you make most of your calls over the internet, you can choose a plan with low calling minutes. If most people you plan are not comfortable taking calls over the internet, you will have to buy a plan with high calling minutes.
● Network quality: Choose a network with a good network quality. You will have to do some research and find the best network in your area.
Cheap mobile plans with international callings for students in the USA:
1. H2O wireless: It offers unlimited international talk to 70 countries including countries like Mexico, China, and India. Each unlimited plan comes with $1.50 or $5.00 of monthly international talk credit depending on your plan. If your talk time is finished, you can add credit with the international talk top-up. The cheapest plans offered by H2O Wireless start with $18 a month which gives you unlimited nationwide text and talk, messages, 2GB of high-speed data, unlimited international text and call, and $1.50 international talk credit.
2. Xfinity mobile: Xfinity plans let you talk and text to other countries at competitive rates. The rates are based on the number of lines you opt for as low as $24/month/line.. Using the XFINITY Voice Unlimited plan you can make calls to nearly half the world at home or on the go with your smartphone or tablet. You get 300 minutes to landline phones and select mobile phones in over 120 countries for $9.95 per month. It offers per minute rates to 200+ global locations.
3. Boost mobile: In addition to selecting USA plan, you can add Boost mobile international minute packs to any monthly plan. Depending on the country you want to call, you can buy a minute pack. The minute pack ranges between $3 and $20 depending on the country. You can use your international minute pack within 90 days of purchase. If you have used all your minutes before 90 days, you can purchase an add-on minute pack and make calls with the same discounted rates.
International Calling Minute pack for India:
4. AT&T: AT&T international calling plan lets you make calls to 85+ countries including India, China, and Germany. You get discounted rates when calling 140+ countries. The international calling plans start with $25 per month.
5. Tello: Every Tello plan lets you make free calls to 60+ countries. Some of the countries you can make calls to without any additional charge are China, Mexico, and India. Making calls from the Tello network to your country is no different than calling across the street as it asks for no additional cost. You can build your custom plans starting from $7 to $39 per month.
6. T Mobile: You can make calls to landlines in 70+ countries and mobile lines in 30+ countries and destinations by adding Stateside International Talk for $15/month. The calling rates will vary depending on the country you are calling.
7. Lyca mobile: It offers plans depending on the country you want to call. You can take a Lyca mobile plan that comes with international calling. For example,Lyca’s unlimited international plan starts with $19 that gives you unlimited international talk, 1GB Data at up to 4G LTE and text to 75+ countries.
8. Raza: It offers extremely cheap plans if you plan to make calls to Asian countries. For example, you get 1000 calling minutes to India for just $9.99 (mobile only). You can select the country you wish to make calls and know the calling rates.
Summary: Based on past research data, most popular plans for international students are provided by H2o, Lyca and tello.
We hope you can now better decide which international calling plans are good for you and save money.